With so much talk about how important it is to build links, do outreach to create relationships with authority websites in the same niche, and every other type of off-site SEO, the importance of on-site SEO is often forgotten. People often think that a simple installation of an SEO plugin to help manage your on-site SEO or making a sitemap will take care of their on-site SEO issues, however, truth is, there is so much more to on-site SEO than what people assume.
As such, we’ve created this on-site SEO checklist for your website that is freely available for everyone.
1. Boost Site Speed - Make sure your website loads no longer than 5 seconds. This comes down to having a faster theme, a better hosting, and proper caching.
2. Setup Social Sharing Buttons - This will help increase shares as well as improve SEO. Social signals are used as a ranking factor for search engines.
3. Automate your Image Optimisation - Limit the upload size of your images, compress your images, and use the Lazy Load plugin to control the loading time of an image.
4. Ensure You’ve Used your Focus Keyword - Before publishing content, make sure you have used the focus keyword in your content.
5. Check Spelling and Grammar - This is a critical step in building trust and reputation of your website. Imagine reading a product review that was filled with grammatical and spelling errors. Would you go on to buy the product using that website’s affiliate link? Would you even take that product review seriously? We think not.
6. Add Sub Headers in Your Content - Add multiple sub headers to improve readability of your website’s content. Use H2, H3, and H4 tags to organise your content. Maximise the use of long tail keywords in your headers.
7. Check Your Keyword Density - Make sure that you have a decent keyword density of at least 0.5%. Do not overuse the keyword as you must ensure that the content has a natural flow providing a fluent read.
8. Do a Better Formatting Job - Make sure your presentation looks good by doing a better formatting job. Limit the number of lines for each paragraph to a maximum of 4 lines. Make use of bullet points to point out steps. Breakdown content into sections using headers. Use relevant images to help illustrate your points. Link to reliable sources (both internal and external).
9. Use Different Types of Media - Combine the use of infographics, memes, powerpoint presentations, images, videos, quotes, screenshots, so on and so forth to change things up and provide a refreshing take on things. If you have the opportunity to incorporate a video in your post, include it as videos have an added advantage in SEO as assessed by search engines.
10. Optimise Your Web Page’s URL - Instead of using the entire title as your web page’s URL, optimise it using short tail keywords and long tail keywords relevant to your content. Remove words that are fillers and connectors such as “and”, “or”, “of”, so on so forth. Keep a short URL which contain no more than 3 to 6 keywords in total.